Sunday, May 3, 2009

Music that could wake the dead.

The walls of HDB flats are quite thin,
sometimes I can hear my neighbor's telly or their phone ringing.

Exactly 9am,
I woke to heart thumping music played at full blast.

The live band (not sure if it's live, sounds like it.) jumped into it the minute the clock struck 9am, probably so they won't get complaints thrown at them.
9am should be the legal time you can start a ruckus in Singapore.

They first song played was something you could dance to,
music that could wake the dead.
My window sills were vibrating to the beat.
It's that loud.

At the same time,
I think they're half hoping that they could really wake the dead.

To be fair,
only the first song could pass off as happy, high energy dance music.
The rest sounded more like emo love songs.


You see, a funeral's going on downstairs.
It's not your typical type of funeral.
There's a bit of a party atmosphere.
I think that's what funerals should be like.

Grand kids running about screaming,
excellent live band playing some of the deceased's favorite music.
Beautiful.

Out of the 10 or so songs,
I could only identify 3.
  1. Mom's the Best in The World - Shi Shang Zhi You MaMa Hao
  2. The Moon Represents My Heart - Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xing
  3. I Only Care About You - Wo Zhi Zai Hu Ni



wo zhi zai hu ni - piano



Mom's the Best in The World - Shi Shang Zhi You MaMa Hao

世上只有妈妈好
有妈的孩子像个宝
投进了妈妈的怀抱
幸福享不了
世上只有妈妈好
有妈的孩子像个宝
投进了妈妈的怀抱
幸福享不了
没有妈妈最苦恼
没妈的孩子像根草
离开妈妈的怀抱
幸福哪里找
没有妈妈最苦恼
没妈的孩子像根草
离开妈妈的怀抱
幸福哪里找


The Moon Represents My Heart - Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xing

* ni wen wo ai ni you duo shen
Wo ai ni you ji fen

Wo de qing ye zhen
Wo de ai ye zhen
Yue liang dai biao wo de xin

(Repeat *)
Wo de qing bu yi
Wo de ai bu bian
Yue liang dai biao wo de xin

** qing qing de yi ge wen
Yi jin da dong wo de xin
Shen shen de yi duan qing
Jiao wo si nian dao ru jin

(Repeat *)

*** ni qu xiang yi xiang
Ni qu kan yi kan
Yue liang dai biao wo de xin

(Repeat **)


Seriously for some of the songs,
it feels like there's a mini orchestra.
I can hear the er-hu, flute (recorder?), saxophone (maybe it's just a normal trumpet...) and the piano (keyboard!).
It's confirmed a live band.
The biggest give away is how all the songs end.
Very VERY abrupt.


Now it's all gone quiet.
Only the sounds of people packing things up are left.
Oh wait, I hear the band again.

I also heard someone say in hokkien/teochew that
'the bus is here'.

No comments: