Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Twilight Saga, find me a vampire quick!

Where to start?
If you like Harry Potter...no...that's not it...

Ok, GOT IT!

I want to change my name to Bella and live in some
obscure cloudy rain filled place called Forks.
What a name!

It's been a while since I've been this fired up about a random storybook.
Blood suckers and dead people aren't even in my 'To-Read' genre!

A pair of hands holding an apple is the first thing you see.
And I've seen it before, a looong time ago at Borders but nothing's made me
pick it up and devour it's contents.

It looks dark, scary and screams of Adam & Eve.
And in the back of my mind I'm like, "Eve!! PUT THAT APPLE DOWN!!!!"
'Coz my mind works in this way...

Adam & Eve = forbidden fruit = evil = scary = Don't read!

But the movie piqued my interest.



A few entries back, I mentioned wanting to watch Twilight the movie
with no intention of reading the book...
EVER!

The weirdest thing was...after that entry,
one of my students, Deirdre asked if I wanted to borrow the book.
I forgot how we came to talking about Twilight but mostly,
she was gushing and I was listening.

In that 5mins that she was talking non stop about Edward and Bella,
I was zoning out.
'Coz like...
Who si Edward?? Who si Bella?? And sooo many other names she mentioned.
I don't know all of them!!! And I don't like strangers!!!
She was going to try and explain the story plot(s) and I also found out from her
that Twilight is a SAGA!! There's at least 4 books la...

Luckily she explained to me that each book sorta has it's own conclusion.
Else I would never have borrowed the book.

Digress : It might seem like Deirdre and I were talking the whole of swimming lesson but
it's not the case and we swam alot on that day.

Ok...so a week later she passed me the book,
pleasantly surprised that she remembered.
While I was unpleasantly shocked when I saw the book.
It's freaking thick lo!

So dreading the time when I'd to return the book and Deirdre
asks me how I'd enjoy reading Twilight.
What to say then? *stress*

Look at it! It's approximately 1.7" ah...



The book was with me on a Sunday.
Left it on the kitchen table and every time I walked past it, I felt so horrid.
To read or not to read?


Finally the guilty me picked up the book on Tuesday and read the blurb.

About three things, I was absolutely positive.

First, Edward was a vampire.

Second, there was a part of him -
and I didn't know how dominant that part might be -
that thirsted for my blood.

And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably
in love with him.

*sigh*


And then I casually flipped the pages.
My pores were oozing with relief.
hahahha!!
The words were unexpectedly big!!!
All that stress for nothing!
AH CHEAH!



If you can read the text, the last paragraph is when they first met.
*swoon*

So on that fateful Tuesday, I started reading Twilight.

My first few words being blocked by a $5 note.
Deirdre...what are you doing?
First time I get paid to read le.
Or is the 5 bucks a bookmark?

More importantly, can i borrow more books from you?!?



In between many other distractions,
I finished reading Twilight at 6am on Wednesday night.
*panda eyes*
The thing is when I finally started reading, I could not stop.
Just couldn't!
It's like my right eye would twitch non-stop and I still kept reading.
Using only my left eye.

Such is the power of the forbidden love between Edward and Bella.
There's not as much gore and blood sucking as previously feared.
It's more of a love story than anything else.
The author, Stephenie Meyer has this sarcastic humor that I identify with and it's like a RA version of Enid Blyton.
*blush*

Apparently there are many moms of young fans who are also huge fans of the book.
It probably gave them their 'di er chun' (second spring).
Also there's a little twist near the end but I don't want to give anything away.
I'm glad I read it.
Thanks Deirdre! =)

So from a complete Noob, I'm trawling the internet for information of the saga.
And I chanced upon a site where I read some spoilers regarding the 2nd book.
*dui*
I'm thinking of buying the entire set
so I can re-read them whenever I want to.



Did I mention it's a saga?
Apparently...apparently...apparently...there's supposed to be a 5th book,
Midnight Sun,
that's in the editing process but got leaked onto the net.
So the author is deciding whether to end with the 4th book,
Breaking Dawn.

I'm not sure at all!
If there's like 7 books I'll have to wait how long?!??!
Stress again...

But anyhow, it's a good light read and I doubt
I'll be able to find a girl who says otherwise.



So what are you waiting for?



Go on...
Take a Bite...



No comments: